Sunday, January 24, 2016

Plans Ahead: Some Notes To Self

With the herculean task of getting a job out of the way and nothing specific on the agenda for the next 3 months, this looks like a chance as good as any to do the things one has always wanted to do but never got around to because, well, where was the time?? Yours truly has been a not-so-proud member of the club thus far but it's time to relinquish the badge.

To begin with, getting way from everything and going off on a nice, quiet holiday all by self sounds like a good idea. (I also hope to finally have an answer to at least one dreaded HR interview question: What is the most adventurous thing you have done in your life?) Perhaps to a historical destination/destinations. History, especially Indian history, has always fascinated me. I have spent many nights in bed as a kid fantasizing how life must have been in the Ramayana and the Mahabharata era. A bit more of history reading in higher classes, combined with the heroic tales of bravery of historical figures who have become the cultural totems of today, planted romanticised notions of life in the earlier times in my head. All the associated stories of plunder and massacre seemed like minor inconveniences then, serving no purpose but that of interfering with the narrative. It’s only once that I started doing some serious history reading that it struck how harsh life must have been in those times without all the mechanical and electrical conveniences of today. Heck, had I been born 50 years too early, life would be nothing as exciting and convenient as today. All those sturdy forts constructed back then and pan-country military expeditions carried out would have required humongous resources, time and effort. And yet, despite the tyranny of distance, large empires were forged and sustained over hundreds of years and architectural marvels that have withstood the test of time and weather were erected. While reading and all is fine, I’d like to actually “feel” the history in my bones. A tour of Jaipur about a decade back and one of the glorious Vijayanagara capital of Hampi last year whetted that appetite but has by no means satisfied it. An extensive tour of Rajasthan, Delhi and Madhya Pradesh would be my priority. I could spend hours at those places in quiet contemplation trying to reconstruct the times of yore, undisturbed and unhurried by anything else (Let’s ignore here the fact that I partook not a drop of history in Delhi in the two years I spent there). My role-model is Sanjeev Sanyal who is a global strategist for Deutsche Bank based out of Singapore and lives and breathes history in all his spare time. His book “Land of the Seven Rivers” is an excellent Indian history primer. Wish they had such books as text books during school.

 May be I could go away to a quiet town for a few days somewhere in the hills up north, (Kasauli, may be?) be cut off from the Internet and hopefully mobile communication. It’s damn difficult to switch off completely these days but I could really do with a break from the daily chaos.  I’d like to spend time going for long nature walks, reading stories and poetry for a change (some by Ruskin Bond perhaps whose writing is steeped in life in the hills), reflect on the past and the future- the things gone right and wrong, figure out what and who matters, shed some baggage of the past and figure out my own philosophy of life (very important, if for nothing else then to impress a gathering of friends). Being in the lap of nature and having no deadlines to adhere to may finally get the creative juices flowing for all one knows and I may end up writing something worthwhile. (Ok, I saw today a junior from BITS announcing on Facebook the imminent publication of her first book so right now motivation is at its peak, else I am too lazy to make the effort) Jokes apart, it would kind of feel nice to jump on to the Engineer+MBA+Writer bandwagon some day.

In the days left over, I’d definitely like to start clearing my reading backlog. At least 30-40 books I’ve accumulated in my collection over time are gathering dust, waiting to be opened. My Pocket repository is bulging with links saved over the last two years some of which I am sure are no longer active and the content lost forever. More importantly, I need to figure out how to do more focused reading- decide on a topic or theme and read stuff only along those lines for a few days before switching over to something else. Hopefully, this will allow better retention and depth of knowledge by helping to form a mental map of ideas connected to that theme.

The one thing I would likely accord priority to is a course on the Vipassana meditation technique. It’s going to be very difficult to find a 10-day break once working life begins and all leaves would become precious enough to relegate meditation to a lower status in the list of priorities. I need better focus, clarity and evenness of mind and would like to optimize the output of my time and effort on all fronts. I am hoping that a regular practise of Vipassana would help me achieve that.


All said and done, the best-laid plans more often than not meet a sorry fate. More ambitious the plan, the higher the probability of failure. I’m under no illusions it’s going to be a challenge to meet even half the goals I’m setting for myself. One also becomes immune to self-motivation beyond a point. Placing a wager on stickk.com to lock oneself into a commitment contract may actually not be a bad idea...

No comments: